Called "new" to distinguish it from the older Citadel of Pisa, it is located on the opposite side of Pisa’s city walls in lungarno Fibonacci on the south bank of the River Arno, between the bridges Ponte della Fortezza and Ponte della Vittoria. It was built starting from 1440 during the first Florentine domination. The fort was damaged and later restored by the Florentine architect Giuliano da Sangallo. At the heart of the ramparts of the fort of the New Citadel there is a large garden built in the early nineteenth century, where civil weddings can be celebrated.
San Zeno Abbey
The Abbey is located near piazza Santa Caterina, in a place where you can find many remains of Ancient Roman Pisa. At first it was a Benedictine abbey, then it was annexed to a monastery of the Order of Camaldoli. At the beginning of the fifteenth century it had profound transformations. The building - probably built before 1000 AC on a pre-existing pagan temple - is characterized by a layered set of different architectural styles and orientations, as can be seen in the façade. Civil weddings can be celebrated here.
Villa di Corliano
The Villa Agostini della Seta of Corliano is a fifteenth-century villa decorated with mural art dating to the 1500s, typical of Florentine mannerist art. The interior contains frescoes from the 16th and 18th centuries. Villa Agostini is part of a larger monumental complex consisting of a chapel, a farmhouse, an oil mill, a “kaffeehaus” and a park of about 3 hectares with age-old plants enclosed within the villa’s walls. It is possible to rent the Gentile chapel to celebrate a civil or religious marriage within the villa.