The garden houses a collection of roses, lemons, and other plants, as well as a Japanese garden, donated to Florence by the twin city of Kyōto and the Zen Kodai-Ji temple. In particular, it contains about 400 varieties of roses for a total of about 1,200 plants.
The park is found in the Oltrarno area, just below Piazzale Michelangelo. From there you can admire an amazing view over the city.
The garden was created in 1865 by Giuseppe Poggi, who also designed also the Piazzale, on behalf of the City of Florence, ready to become the capital of Italy after Turin. The land belonged Padri Filippini, who also owned a house and farm called San Francesco, then Attilio Pucci redeisgned to space full of terraces and walls to create a collection of roses.
Built according to the French model, the garden has a bucolic natural setting, yet it was streamlined to accommodate the Italian style. Of particular interest is the advanced irrigation system, near the square, and a pipeline that carries water up to numerous outlets in the garden.
In recent years the giardino has been enriched with some works of art and today it houses ten bronze sculptures, two chess pieces by Belgian artist Jean-Michel Folon, donated to the City by the widow of the artist.