The Boboli Gardens are a wonderful oasis behind the Pitti Palace, for nearly four centuries the residence of the Grand Dukes of Tuscany and for a short period of the Kings of Italy. The Medici family created the model of an Italian-style garden, which became an example for many European courts.
This is a real open-air museum, decorated with antique and Renaissance statues, caves and fountains: Neptune Fountain, known as “Nettuno del Forcone” (Neptune with a Pitchfork) or "the Neptune's nursery", named after the sculpture by Stoldo Lorenzi; the large Statue of Abundance, right at the peak of the hill, begun by Giambologna the Viottolone; a large avenue lined with cypress trees and statues that leads to Isolotto square, designed by Giulio and Alfonso Parigi in 1618, with the great Ocean Fountain by Giambologna at the center, surrounded by three other sculptures representing the Nile, the Ganges and the Euphrates.
The Kaffeehaus, the Limonaia (lemons green-house) and the Palazzina della Meridiana are eighteenth-century alterations, built during the Lorraine period.
In 1789, the Egyptian obelisk from Luxor was placed in the centre of the Amphitheatre.