The Collegiate Church of Santa Maria was given its name in 1493 by Pope Alexander VI Borgia, although it had been founded by the Florentines in 1257. Many interesting works of art are preserved inside: a panel painting of the Madonna and Child with Saints, dated to 1539 and attributed to an artist from Le Marche, Giovanni Andrea de Magistris; the 19th-century Chapel of the Santissimo Sacramento, with its 16th-century baptismal font; a partially-glazed, terracotta Saint Joseph by Andrea della Robbia.
In the same place, we also find the peaked panel painting of the Maestà by the so-called 'Maestro di Figline', depicting the Madonna Enthroned with Angels and, lower down, Saint Ludwig of Toulouse and Saint Elisabeth of Hungary. The composition of this painting takes inspiration from Giotto's Maestà, painted for the church of Ognissanti in Florence around 1310 and now housed in the Uffizi.
Next to the church, and accessible by a door at the end of the right-hand wall, you can visit the Museum of Sacred Art, which holds Domenico Ghirlandaio's Pair of Angelsfrom 1480. It also contains The Martyrdom of San Lorenzo, painted in 1590 by Ludovico Cardi, known as Il Cigoli. This painting was commissioned for the church by the confraternity dedicated to San Lorenzo in the Serristori hospital; acquired by the Medici in 1733; it then passed into the storages for Florentine galleries before returning to Figline.