Its turbulent history starts in 1188 with a castle being put there as a courtesy of Pope Clemente III for the church of Sovana, a neighbouring town famous for the tuff soil it’s been built on. When the Aldobrandeschi family took over Sovana in 1272, they got Manciano as a bonus. They pulled up city walls and created La Rocca Aldobrandeschi; a fortress that proved to be the most strategic watchtower imaginable. In the fourteenth century, the city of Orvieto decided it was time to run the place and afterwards the Baschi family of Montemerano fancied a go.
Eventually, through marriage, the Orsini family in charge of Pitigliano (another monumental tuff town) became the proud owners of the locality. In 1416 Siena was expanding its empire and conquered Manciano with its strategical fortress. They fortified the city walls and made the fort even stronger. This didn’t turn out very successful since the Orisini’s took over again after only some decades. Then, in 1557, grand duke Cosimo de’ Medici decided he couldn’t stay behind and ruled the place until Garibaldi set Italy free and made it into one big happy place.