Arriving in the town from the valley, the first thing that the visitor claps eyes on is the Borghetto, the old medieval part of the town, whose majestic surrounding walls were erected in the sixteenth century. The impressive medieval tower, the Campano, catches attention with its massive bulk serving almost as a lighthouse to travellers. Also in the historic town centre, it's worth stopping by the tumbled-down, centuries-old abbey church, established by Camaldolese monks around the year 1000.
Palazzo Taglieschi stands in the historic town centre, and is home to the town museum. The latter contains notable artworks such as a colourful wooden Madonna by Jacopo della Quercia, terracottas in the Della Robbian style, and a sixteenth-century table organ that still works today. Other museums worth seeing are the Museo della Battaglia e di Anghiari, which is found in Palazzo Marzocco and which introduces visitors to the history of the famous battle that links Leonardo to this town, thanks to his choice of it as a subject for a painting. The Museo della Misericordia retraces the history of Anghiari’s Confraternita della Misericordia through documents and unusual objects. The Convent and Church della Croce di Anghiari is also unmissable, strongly linked to San Francesco.