From Comeana, we next head to Carmignano to admire the Visitation, a masterpiece of Tuscan Mannerism by Pontormo (1494-1557), conserved in the Parish Church of S. Michele e S. Francesco. The oil painting dates to 1529 and depicts the meeting between Mary and her sister, Elizabeth, both pregnant.
After Carmignano, let’s travel the Provinciale n.10 of Pietramarina until we’re near the Church of San Giusto.
We’ll park the car here and climb up the paved road, following the directions; fortunately cars are not allowed on this road, so we won’t have to contend with those! A panoramic trail winds uphill to the top of Monte Pietramarina. In this area, we find the Masso del Diavolo, close to the archeological area.
The top of the hill was frequented by Etruscans starting in the 7th century BCE. Excavations have brought to light a defense wall that encircled the settlement and other buildings still being dug out. The site must have been used for watching over the lower Valdarno, and considering its elevated and dominating position, allowed the Etruscans to communicate with other cities like Fiesole, Volterra and Artimino, as well as with the coast (on clear days, you can see all the way to Livorno).
From here, we can take via Castra to reach Limite, followed by Vinci.