In the historic centre, the evocative complex of Palazzo Corsini rises in the town’s original centre. From the 10th century it was the headquarters of the Salamarzana Castle, transformed during the 14th century into a fortress by the Florentines. Having lost its military importance, it was acquired by Giovanni di Cosimo dei Medici, the father of Lorenzo the Magnificent, who turned it into a farm. In 1643, the entire complex passed to the Corsini and, in 1981, to the Municipality, making it available to the community by housing the Fucecchio Museum, the historical archive and the library.
Located in the upper part of Fucecchio, the historic Abbey of San Salvatore merits a visit, founded in the 10th century by the Cadolingi, and home to a precious Crucifix from the early 1300s, a splendid 17th-century organ and several paintings by Empoli and Caccini. Not far, you’ll find the Collegiate Church of San Giovanni Battista, whose current appearance dates to 1780 and which conserves the beautiful panel painting depicting the Madonna and Child Enthroned with Saints (1526) by Bartolomeo Ghetti. But Fucecchio’s cultural hub is probably situated in the historic Palazzo Montanelli Della Volta, also the home of the Montanelli Bassi Foundation, founded in 1987 by the renowned journalist Indro Montanelli to endorse the cultural and historical heritage of his home town. A remarkable itinerary of the famous journalist’s activities is located in the building, among which are his studies undertaken in Rome and Milan, transferred here in their entirety.