The 16th century proved pivotal for Cerreto’s history, marked by Medici rule, who were behind architectural measures like the Medici Complex, which encompasses the hunting lodge (it became the Museum of Local Hunting in 2002), the farm and monumental access ramps to the villa attributed to Buontalenti.
Annexed to the Medici villa is the Pieve di San Leonardo church, whose bell tower seems to have been erected as the castle’s chapel. The current appearance is the product of countless interventions that altered the medieval layout of the building. The church contains prestigious items, including the glazed multicolored terracotta baptismal font attributed to Giovanni Della Robbia and a canvas depicting San Leonardo by Cristofano Allori (1577–1621).
Continuing along the circular road around the complex you come across the interesting Oratorio della Santissima Trinità, dating to 1607, whose interior features eighteenth-century frescoes. However, the most valuable artwork is an 1587 altarpiece by Domenico Cresti, aka Il Passignano.
Also worth a visit is the Sanctuary of Santa Liberata, whose construction probably dates back to 1336, when, according to tradition, an oratory dedicated to the Virgin was built here to thank her for the liberation of the city from the troops of Mastino della Scala. The constant attention paid to the cult of Santa Liberata has meant that the building has been the subject of many interventions by the community of Cerreto.