Originally intended to be placed high up on the facade of the Cathedral of Florence, the beauty earned the David a more prominent and less hidden place.
A commission of illustrious artist (Leonardo da Vinci, Sandro Botticelli, Filippino Lippi and Andrea della Robbia, among others) and leading citizens was formed to decide the ideal location.
The placement in front of the main entrance to the Palazzo Vecchio was favoured by members of the new Republican government, who transformed the David into a political statement, an image of strong government and a warning.
The transport from the construction site took 40 men, 4 days and a night surveillance to prevent some moralist from damaging it, due to the nudity of the figure. On May 18, 1504, the David arrived in Piazza della Signoria, displacing from its location the Judith and Holofernes statue by Donatello, and immediately becoming the symbol of the Florentine republic.