Opened in 1878 by the Florentine evangelical churches, it was used to give burial to non-Catholics who were not able to be buried in the cemeteries of the city, especially after the closure of the English Cemetery following the law that decreed a minimum distance of 100 meters from the inhabited center.
Here rest many great names in collecting and art history: from Frederik Stibbert to Sir Harold Acton, from Roberto Longhi to John Pope Hennessy to Herbert Percy Horne; but also artists, such as the Swiss painter Arnold Boecklin, the architect Leonardo Savioli and the German painter Hans-Joachim Staude.
There are also many women buried here, artists, intellectuals, writers such as Oriana Fallaci, Ludmilla Assing, Jessie Taylor Hillebrand, Vernon Lee, Elizabeth Boott Duveneck, Sofia Besobrasova De Gubernatis and Dorothy Nevile Lees. Alongside them are many other great names, but also lesser known figures that are no less worthy of being commemorated.
The cemetery offers itself as a testimony, a document of life, a monument of art, a real open-air museum for the significant pieces of sculpture and applied arts between the nineteenth and twentieth centuries. The most important Tuscan sculptors have left their traces there, such as Fantacchiotti, Romanelli, Betti, Costoli, Maraini and alongside them the foreign sculptors who had chosen to live in Florence such as Adolf von Hildebrand. The sculpted marbles document the trends of purist academic language and realism, Art Nouveau, Symbolism, Déco, articulated in a refined inventory of styles.