Founded as the “Birreria F.lli Reininghaus” in 1847, the Giubbe Rosse soon became a meeting point for Florence's German community, while the Florentines took to calling it the "giubbe rosse" (or "red jackets") thanks to the odd uniform worn by waiters. The international atmosphere, including dailies available for browsing, soon attracted Florence's young intellectuals, who spurred the creation of literary magazines and artistic movements in its rooms. Its regular visitors were the likes of Papini, Soffici, Palazzeschi, Gadda, Gatto, Pratolini, Vittorini, and Montale. When the cafe was reopened after the war in 1947, it suffered from the city's decline and progressive marginalization. In 1991 the cafe was taken over by the Smalzi brothers and is finally regaining its role in the city as a site for cultural exchange.
Caffé Le Giubbe Rosse
Piazza della Repubblica, 13/r