Tuscany has an impressive cultural heritage and generally when you come here you want to visit all the famous cities you’ve seen in some photos. Pisa’s leaning tower, Brunelleschi’s Dome and Giotto’s bell tower in Florence, Siena’s Piazza del Campo are just few examples of “must see” monuments. But if you’ve got a few days in a Tuscan city I suggest you to spend at least one day in the surrounding hills or organize a day tour at the beach or in the mountains. There are many unexplored and unknown places in Tuscany and they also deserve a visit. This is a list of 10 great escapes from the cities, which one is yours?
- A day of canyoning in Orrido di Botri: the biggest Tuscan canyon!
- Visit the castles of Chianti: read this post for more info.
- Discover the unique Sammezzano castle.
- A tour of Maremma’s villages: Sorano, Sovana, Pitigliano and other amazing little towns to visit.
- A day at the “balze” of the Valdarno region: discover the place that inspired the great Leonardo da Vinci.
- A visit to the San Galgano Abbey: a legend, a sword in the stone, an enchanting place surrounded by mystery.
- An early awakening to go fishing in Talamone.
- A trip in the fumaroles of the Parco of Biancane.
- A tour of the Tuscan Archipelago: are 7 island enough for a great escape? ;)
- A marble tour and a food tasting in the Apuan Alps: the white of the marble, the green of the mountains, the blue of the sky and the see from above.
You might also be interested in