Civitella Marittima, the main centre of the municipality of Civitella Paganico, is a characteristic village that sits atop a hill covered in cypress and olive trees, from where you can admire a landscape that fades into the Maremma plain and the coast. The village was the home of the Ardengheschi family, who left important traces of Romanesque architecture in this area, like the beautiful Abbey of San Lorenzo sul Lanzo, also known as Badia Ardenghesca. The village passed into the hands of the Sienese at the start of the 1300s, together with Paganico, which is located where the Ombrone forms a large bay as is descends from the hills toward the plain.
Paganico is a hidden jewel thanks to its wealth of artistic and monumental treasures. The village is enriched with characteristic gates (Senese, Gorella and Grossetana), what remain of the defense walls, the typical terracotta tile houses and their porches dating back to the 14th and 15th centuries, and the beautiful Church of San Michele Arcangelo, particularly noteworthy because of its elegant frescoes by Biagio di Goro Grezzi.
In the general area of Civitella Paganico are the popular Petriolo Hot Springs, thermal baths in the middle of the woods that have been used since Ancient Roman times; the baths actually date back to 1230.
Nature enthusiasts will love the Basso Merse Nature Reserve, perfect for excursions and long hikes.