A revolutionary painter in Renaissance Florence, famous for having invented perspective in painting, Masaccio left exemplary works throughout Tuscany, both in Florence but also in the Valdarno, his birthplace and where he perfected his skill.
The tour around his homeland begins in Cascia, a village in the Reggello municipality. The artist’s Triptych of San Giovenale was placed in the Church of San Pietro; the Madonna and Child with Two Angels among Saints Bartholomew and Blaise, Juvenal and Anthony the Abbot is now displayed in the adjacent Masaccio Museum. The painting, completed in 1422, is of great importance as it is evidences Masaccio’s early work, inspired by Brunelleschi’s new use of perspective.
Continuing toward Incisa Val d’Arno, the Church of Sant’Alessandro houses Madonna and Child among the Archangel Michael and St. John the Apostle, which is attributed to Andrea di Giusto, demonstrating Masaccio’s artistic influence.