Countryside around Bucine

Bucine

Admire the Parish of Galatrona and St. Apollinare, as well as the Galatrona Castle

Read the story of Bucine on Bucine A welcoming land of magic and history Into the heart of Tuscany to discover the ValdambraRead the story of
The municipality of Bucine is found in the Valdambra, in the province of Arezzo, at a height of 207m above sea level and with a population of approximately 9,000 inhabitants.

LOCATION
Its intermediary positionbetween Florence, Arezzo and Siena, has made Bucine a vivacious and strategically important centre, from the very first settlements in Roman times, and even more so in the Middle Ages: a period in which the village was harshly contested by many local seigniories and by the large cities that were fighting amongst themselves. In the 13th century, the main authority of the territory was that of the Counts Guidi di Modigliana who, already in 1225, however, put themselves under the protection of Arezzo.

LAYOUT
The higher part of today’s town belonged instead to the Ubertini family from Chitignano, but properties and privileges in Bucine were also owned by the Abbey of St. Mary in Agnano and the Tarlati family. It was the latter who finally took possession of the Castle of Bucine, taking it by force from the Guidi family in 1325. Nevertheless, these quarrels between local noblemen were swept away with the arrival of the Florentine Republic that conquered numerous territories, including Bucine, taken and made into a podestà jurisdiction in 1335.

HISTORY
Being a league, the “League of Valdambra”, the podestà jurisdiction supported Florence in its campaign for the annexing of the Ubertini properties that would be conquered between the 14th and the 15th centuries. During its permanence under the Medici Grand Duchy, Bucine was transformed into a marquisate, handed over as a fief to the Vitelli family by Ferdinand II (1645), an investiture that was then also confirmed by the Asburgo-Lorena family.

A subsequent transformation came about during the Napoleonic occupation, when the French instituted the Kingdom of Etruria in Tuscany. The marquisate of Bucine, in 1811, became one of the “mairies” of the Prefecture’s Department of the Arno and the District of Arezzo. After Napoleon’s defeat and the Restoration, sanctioned by the Vienna Congress in 1815, Bucine returned to the Grand Duchy, this time acquiring the status of podestà jurisdiction of Bucine Valdambra. It was an enormous territorial unit containing the territories of 24 Arezzo councils. This also explains today’s considerable extension of its boundaries.
2
TOP ATTRACTIONS IN   Bucine