In San Pancrazio, a village in the municipality of Bucine, the Museum of Memory was established to preserve knowledge of the events relating to the massacres carried out by the Nazis in the Arezzo area.
The museum was inaugurated in 2007, and is located in the cellars of the former Palazzo del Podestà, once the Pierangeli Farm. It was here that in 1944, a number of people from San Pancrazio were rounded up and killed by the German troops of the Hermann Göring Armoured Division. The same building was then set on fire, and restored beginning in the 1970s.
Inside the museum, there's detailed documentation on the massacre that took place in the village, together with a historical map showing the massacres carried out by the Nazis between the Valdichiana and Valdambra. Photographs from the Canadian Military Archive allowed for an accurate reconstruction of the events that took place in the days following the massacre.
The same building houses the “Don Giuseppe Torelli” Intercultural Centre, named after a victim of the massacre, and the Memorial, a chapel in which two marble slabs bear the names of all those people killed in the events of June 1944.
To honour the victims, there's also a rose garden set up in the adjacent gardens, in which each plant has an adjoining small plaque with a name.