Meleto Castle stands out from the enchanting Chianti landscape at the end of a pleasant driveway lined with cypress trees and junipers. The building is set amid sun-kissed fields and vineyards, not far from the boundary between the ancient Republics of Siena and Florence, about 1km from Gaiole in Chianti.
The Castle first belonged to the Benedictine monks of the Coltibuono Abbey. The name ‘Meleto in Chianti’ appears for the first time in 1269, in the Florentine Guelphs’ ‘Libro degli Estimi’, as the property of the family of Rainerii de Ricasolis. The Ricasoli family extended and embellished the building over the centuries and today the Castle still has its massive 15th century fortifications with an imposing cylindrical tower built as protection against artillery fire. But there is also the aristocratic grace of the villa, with its sequence of furnished and decorated rooms, and an unparalleled 18th century theatre.
Meleto welcomes visitors, tourists and nature lovers. The Castle produces a vast range of natural products which are made by combining ancient agricultural traditions and modern technology.