San Giuliano Terme in the past was a place beloved by the nobility of Pisa and Tuscany. In its surroundings we can still admire the marvelous villas - which are now Historical Residences - where the aristocracy and cultural figures loved to stay. Here are some of them in this itinerary along the "sottomonte Pisano".
The first stop is at the Villa di Corliano, a 15th-century Renaissance villa belonging to the Pisan counts Agostini Venerosi Della Seta.
The historic mansion is part of a larger monumental complex, which also includes an oil mill, a farm and stables. Special mention should be made of the park-included in the protected area of Monte Pisano - which is home to centuries-old plants, extending for about 3 hectares.
One floor of the Villa is used as a period residence. A restaurant and several residences available for long-term stays are also part of the complex.
The park and villa can be visited by appointment.
Moving among the hills of Rigoli, we find the imposing Villa Alta.
This Historical Residence is located along the ancient and legendary "Silk Road", along which, in the Renaissance and Baroque ages, the great merchants of Pisa and Lucca could reach the European courts of the North.
The villa dates back to the 18th century and belonged to the Agostini family until 1920. The major restoration in 1996 brought to light a considerable part of its beautiful frescoes.
Again, you can stay in the Villa - a charming location for weddings and events - which has, in addition, a swimming pool.
In 1701 Vincenzo Poschi, a nobleman from Pisa, decided to build his country residence on the road between Pisa and Lucca from pre-existing buildings dating from the 16th or 17th century.
An avenue crosses the splendid Italian garden and leads up to the entrance of the stately home.
The interior of this mansion is rich in frescoes that decorate its various rooms. These include a sea view, on the port of Livorno, and other landscapes copied from prints of the time.
The villa is now a Relais and restaurant, the perfect location for a wedding in the green heart of Tuscany.
This 18th-century mansion is also known as Villa Anna Maria and was already known in 1618 as a "resort residence".
Anna Maria Franceschi Rosselmini had it renovated in the 19th century, adding important pictorial decoration and having a large botanical garden (Armida's garden) created, with species originating from Asia and the Americas. Indeed, today we can admire an incredible variety of centuries-old specimens, such as Camellias, Magnolias, Ginko bilobas and Cedars of Lebanon.
The villa is located in the center of Molina di Quosa, between Lucca and Pisa, along the ancient Silk Road.
The villa with swimming pool is located in the center of Molina di Quosa, between Lucca and Pisa, along the ancient Silk Road.
It can be visited by appointment.