The striking Terrazza Mascagni looks over the sea, an elegant example of architecture that gives a wide panorama of the sea and the islands of the Tuscan Archipelago. Dating back to the 1920s it has recently been restored, together with the entire section that surrounds it, where a bandstand has been rebuilt following the original model. In the same area is the 20th century complex of the D. Cestoni Town Acquarium, exhibition and research centre for Mediterranean marine flora and fauna that today undertakes important restoration and extension works.
Opposite the entrance to the Bagni Pancaldi in Piazza Modigliani is Neptune’s Fountain, donated to the Council by Giuseppe Valiperti in 1934 it has been recently renovated. Following the coastal path we reach the Church of St. Jacopo in Acquaviva, erected in its current aspect in the second half of the XVIII century on the site of a previous Romanesque parish. Nearby is the Naval Academy, a training institute for officers of the Italian Naval Military founded in 1881, a symbol of the deep link between Livorno and the sea. Between the two entrances to the Academy the Margherita Barrier rises, created to further widen the town’s boundary walls.