The cities of Figline and Incisa Valdarno (established 1 January 2014 from the merging of the Municipalities of Figline Valdarno and Incisa in Val d’Arno) is located in the Valdarno superiore fiorentino area, in a strategic position at the centre of the urban Siena-Florence-Arezzo triangle. It covers the area from Florence to Arezzo, hemmed in by Pratomagno and the charm of the Chianti hills. The strategic and cultural role of the “Tuscany Cradle” has been famous since ancient times. Traces of the Etruscan and Roman roads can still be seen on the ridge of the hills between Chianti and the Valdarno. On the right bank of the river, the Cassia Vetus still bears witness to the ancient Roman consular road, known as the “Road of the Seven Bridges”, while the Cassia Nuova, dating to 123 AD, passed by Figline Valdarno, in the direction of Florence.
Figline is the largest tourist destination in the province after Florence and is one of the most interesting towns thanks to its ancient Roman/Etruscan origins and the traces of the Renaissance cultural blossoming. Typical Tuscan scenery frames this beauty, extending as far as the Chianti hills.
The origins of the town date to 1109, when the residents of the hill town around Feghine Castle (1008) came down to the valley, settling a market and bartering place, which established itself as a reference point and goods distribution place in the 1300s. After political ups and downs, contested between Fiesole and Florence, Figline Castle was razed to the ground in 1252 by the army of the Florentine Republic, forcing the entire population to settle in the valley around the market area. To build upon the conquered rule over the town, the Municipality of Florence sent “mesuratores” to redesign the forum and identify two parallel roads, which later intersected at right angles according to the traditional Roman road system.
Incisa is a town steeped in tradition, which still maintains all the charm of medieval splendour and relics of its ancient Roman origins, located in a gorge carved into the Arno River, once considered by the Romans as “Incisa” (Italian for “engraved”). This is where Masaccio painted his earliest artwork and where Petrarch spent his youth: two leading exponents of art and literature who left notable marks of their presence on the area. The first documentation regarding the existence of a Castrum di Incisa dates to 1022, referring to the ancient castle above the town, now a turreted villa. The fortified complex of the new castle dates to 1223, when the Florentines erected the Incisa stronghold, rebuilt in the 1400s with the wall structure of the present-day castle. In 1294, after the expansion of the village at the foot of the castle, Incisa became a “podesteria” and in the 14th century, when the Valdarno was divided into six leagues, it became part of the League of “Fighine et Ancisa”, alongside the “plebato di Figline Valdarno.” In 1773 the Reggello Community was established with other villages, and in 1860, after short French rule, it voted for the annexation to the Kingdom of Italy and adopted the name of Incisa in Val d’Arno.
Among the main routes and monuments, the following are worth visiting: piazza Marsilio Ficino, Insigne Collegiata, Palazzo Pretorio, Pieve di Gaville, Chiesa di San Francesco, Villa Casagrande, Teatro Garibaldi, Villa San Cerbone, Cittadella di Loppiano, Casa Petrarca, Chiesa dei Santi Cosma e Damiano, and Chiesa di Sant’Alessandro.