Castel del Piano is a lively and active village surrounded by fairy-tale woods that, especially in the past, were populated by the woodcutters that worked there. Walking along the silent paths of Mount Amiata to the bars and taverns of Castel del Piano, the woodcutters used to sing folk songs, with the typical A Capella Bei type of singing, characterized by basses, falsettos and second and third voices that imitate musical instruments through guttural sounds.
The songs, dating back to the nineteenth and twentieth centuries, tell country stories in an ironic and Boccaccio-like way with the aim of mocking other people from the countryside, such as the parish priest, the pharmacist and the owners of farms. They speak of love, marriage, everyday life, and songs such as La pinottula and La Giulia which emerged with the return of the soldiers from the First World War.
Continuing this tradition, Ambrogio Ginanneschi established the Fontanino Cardellini Choir in 1952 with a dozen citizens who loved singing and who, dressing as woodcutters (with the typical brown cloth garment), re-established these songs and made them their own. Today, they can be heard at village festivals where the choir is always in attendance.