Il Valdarno
location_cityArchitecture

Hannibal’s bridge in Incisa

Discovering local legends

Incisa in Val d'Arno
Located on the border of Incisa Valdarno and Reggello, the district of Bruscheto lies on the right bank of the Arno River. Historical documents make mention of this town as far back as the year 1000, but legends suggest that Hannibal’s troops passed through it while advancing toward the Trasimeno area. In fact, Bruscheto hosts an ancient bridge that got its name from the great Carthaginian leader who some historians believe governed in Roman times. In reality, the bridge’s architecture is most likely Medieval, as you can see from its most prominent stylistic elements. Made from stones extracted from local quarries, it’s 40 meters long and is supported by four spans, grounded among the river’s stones.

According to ‘The Physical-Geographical Dictionary of Tuscany’ this structure is considered the Arno’s tenth bridge. Thanks to its small arches, it has survived numerous floods that wiped out other bridges built along the river. Additionally, small viaduct was left undamaged by the German landmines that ravaged the area during World War II.  Nearby, visitors will find a fish-farm and ancient mill that once belonged to the Vallombrosia order of Montescalari. After being severely damaged during the 1966 flood, the bridge-mill complex was amply restored. Local administrators aim to make the Bruscheto area part of the network of bicycle trails that characterize the Riverside Park of the Arno. This network—which also includes interesting hiking options—is designed to re-launch the tourism industry in the Incisa and Regello area.