Legend has it that the construction of this sanctuary dedicated to the Virgin Mary was decided after a series of miraculous events; at the end of the 15th century, a picture of the Madonna and Child painted outside the Stinche prison became object of a miracle, causing immediate popular devotion. The sanctuary is considered one of the earliest and most notable examples of Greek-cross layout in Renaissance architecture. The structure was built between 1486 and 1495, though the exterior was left unfinished, which vaunts the traditional two-tone green and white in forms found on other structures in Florence (like Santa Maria Novella, San Miniato and the San Giovanni Baptistery). Inside, the basilica displays a clear connection to Alberti and Brunelleschi’s architectural styles. The entablature is decorated with a glazed terracotta frieze by Andrea della Robbia, while the beautiful stained-glass windows depicting the Annunciation, Nativity, Assumption and Visitation were executed and designed by Domenico Ghirlandaio.