Lucignano is an elliptical-shaped small medieval village that overlooks the Valdichiana valley, halfway between Siena and Arezzo. It is famous for the Tree of Love, a true masterpiece of Gothic jewellery decorated with coral, enamel and rock crystal. Legend has it that this golden tree seals the promises of love of couples, smiling upon them with luck and eternal happiness.
Other sights are the fortress attributed to Bernardo Puccini; the sanctuary of the Madonna della Querce dating to 1568 attributed to Vasari; the convent of the Cappuccini dating to 1580; the churches of Misericordia (1582) and della Collegiata (1594).
Lucignano has a somewhat unusual architectural look to it, especially due to the considerable differences between the buildings of the two parts of the old town. Entering from Porta San Giusto, the streets branch into two paths: via Roma, to the left, and via Matteotti, to the right. The first is traditionally known as the "poor road," as in ancient times it was home to the poorest families, and it is characterized today by the presence of small medieval buildings. The second path is called the "rich street," and it is where the village’s noble families once lived, as evidenced by the elegant Renaissance palaces.