The ancient building of the Residenza dei Conservatori was home to the municipal hall until the 1960s. Today it houses the town’s Civic Museum.
The present building is the result of a series of architectural modifications started in the fourteenth century when Galeotto Malatesta, Lord of Rimini, ruled Sansepolcro.
In 1850, various artistic works were collected from the surrounding area and in 1892 the Resurrection painted by Piero della Francesca was finally transferred here, from the Ospedale della Misericordia. The hall where Piero painted the Resurrection, the symbol of the city, is at the heart of the Museum.
The museum was completely rearranged in 1975 and further changes were made during the 1980s and 1990s. Besides the halls dedicated to Piero della Francesca, the Museum contains fifteen more halls with works that date from the fourteenth to the seventeenth centuries. Moreover, it is possible to visit the treasures of the Cathedral and also an interesting archaeological display in the basement of the Museum.
An introduction to the historical town at the foot of the Apennines
Legend has it that Sansepolcro’s origins can be traced back to two pilgrim saints, Arcano and Egidio. While returning from the Holy Land, they stopped in this valley and, thanks to a divine sign, they decided to stay and build a small chapel there to host the Holy Relics they’d brought from Jerusalem. HISTORY Between 1300 and 1500, Sansepolcro experienced an age of maximum splendor. ...Morekeyboard_backspace