There are traces of Collesalvetti’s human inhabitance in prehistoric times, even if the town and nearby hamlets are known to have originated in Etruscan-Roman times. Suffice to say, one of ancient history’s most important communication routes, the Aemilia Scauri, passes through here.
The Medici Villa of Collesalvetti is well worth a visit, probably built at the start of the 15th century and then acquired by Lorenzo and Giuliano de’ Medici in 1476.
A short distance from the residence stand the remains of the 18th century Leopoldino Aqueduct, built by the Grand Duke of Tuscany in order to provide water to the city of Livorno.
The Mansio Romana archeological area in Torretta is home to the remains of a building from the end of the 1st century AD, modified in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th centuries. It would once have been a large public bath.
Near the Benedetta Valley in Sambuca, head to the 13th century Eremo della Sambuca. The hermitage, located in the heart of the woods, is particularly impressive with its striking aura.