Palazzo Vescovile a Fiesole
location_cityArchitecture

The Bishop's Place in Fiesole

The Bishop’s Palace at Fiesole is found on Piazza Mino da Fiesole

Fiesole
The palace can be reached via a double 18th century stairway. It was built at the same time as the cathedral, in 1028, when Jacopo il Bavaro was Bishop, during the course of the centuries it has been subject to various modifications, particularly in the 1400’s (with the Bishop Andrea Corsini) and 1600’s (with the Bishops Ginori and Cattani da Diaceto).
Above the main entrance is the noteworthy 16th century coat of arms belonging to Bishop Filippo Neri Altoviti. The present facade dates back to the 1500’s.
On the interior Filippo Neri Altoviti’s private chapel can be found, decorated with late 14th century frescoes depicting Saints Romolo and Jacopo with the Creator.
The oratory is dedicated to San Jacopo Maggiore and was constructed by Bishop Cattani da Diaceto, an “Incoronazione della Vergine” by Lorenzo di Bicci can be found here, along with other works by Niccodemo Ferrucci and Antonio Marini.
To the right of the Bishop’s Palace is the presbytery, built in 1032, for the cathedral’s clergy. In 1439 the building was enlarged, the courtyard and portico were added, and a single marble coloumn placed in the centre with a small metallic image of the Virgin Mary, known as from Arezzo, built by the Bishop Ranieri Mancini.

Fiesole
The small town rises on a hill 6 km from Florence
Fiesole was one of the most important Etruscan towns on the southern slopes of the Tuscan-Emilian Apennines. It was allied to Rome in the III century BC. In 90 BC the town rebelled during the social war, being then taken by Lucio Porcio Catone. The acropolis was found on the top of the hill, where today the convent of St. Francis stands. ...
Morekeyboard_backspace