Places of worship
A monastery (or as some say an abbey) dedicated to San Bartolomeo was built between 1025 – 1028 where there used to be an ancient oratory dedicated to the saints Pietro and Romolo. From 1456 to 1467 the complex was modified to the actual form.
The church facade includes a Romanesque centre in white and green marble dating back to the 12th century. The interior is aisleless and barrel vaulted, with square chapels opening on the sides. The remarkable main altar by Giovan Battista Cennini, following Pietro Tacca’s design, dates back to 1610.
On the right is the ex-convent, now the European University Institute. Going through the Renaissance cloister the refectory can be reached, which has frescoes by Giovanni da San Giovanni representing “Christ Nutured by the Angels” (1629).
The small town rises on a hill 6 km from Florence
Fiesole was one of the most important Etruscan towns on the southern slopes of the Tuscan-Emilian Apennines. It was allied to Rome in the III century BC. In 90 BC the town rebelled during the social war, being then taken by Lucio Porcio Catone. The acropolis was found on the top of the hill, where today the convent of St. Francis stands. ...Morekeyboard_backspace