The medieval castle in Porciano is a building with a history dating back thousands of years that dominates the Casentino valley, documented since the early 11th century. It belonged to the Guidi Counts until it passed to the Florentine Republic in 1444; in the 18th century it was purchased by the Goretti De Flamini family and was restored between 1963 and 1973.
This castle in the municipality of Pratovecchio Stia is best remembered for hosting Dante Alighieri in the early 14th century, while the famous poet was exiled from Florence. In fact, inside you can visit the Salone di Dante, the castle's reception hall now used for cultural events and conferences. The lower floors of the building host a number of collections: the collection of domestic tools and agricultural implements used in the surrounding countryside; the exhibition on Native Americans; the display of artifacts found during the castle's restorations; and the photographic documentation on the restorations themselves. Enriching the visit are illustrative panels telling the history of the castle, the Guidi Counts and Porciano.
The upper floors of the building are not open to the public, as they are the residence of the owners.