Coreglia Antelminelli is a mountain town in in the Serchio Valley, located in a splendid panoramic position of the Apennines. The earliest mentions of the town date to the 10th century and attest to how this community has been tied to Lucca’s fortunes since its foundation.
Coregilia was considered a strategic point in the Middle Ages yet despite being equipped with several strongholds, it suffered a long siege during the battle between the Guelphs and Castruccio Castracani’s army, who forced them to surrender.
After Castruccio’s death, King John of Bosnia, Lord of Lucca, granted the role of Vicario of Coreglia to Ciomacco Mugia and Sante Castracani. However, the Elders, sensing the incompetence of Castracani, asked Emperor Charles IV to replace him with Francesco Castracani degli Antelminelli, who, once nominated Vicario of Coreglia, appointed himself Count. Now a Vicario, he was no longer content with being a simple vassal and conspired to become Lord. At this point, the General Council decided to punish his corruption by confiscating his castles. Coreglia then fell into the hands of the Florentines, from whom Francesco Castracani took back the town in 1352. His goal was to obtain from Emperor Charles IV in 1355 the much desired transformation of the Vicariate into a Countship, with the right of handing down the title and fief to his successors. He was succeeded by his son Niccolao, Lord until 1369, when Lucca restored the historical Vicars. In 1362, Coreglia added Antelminelli to its name, having long been the home of this important family.