Castelvecchio di Barga
was the chosen home of the poet Giovanni Pascoli
when he went in search of a residence that could guarantee quiet and rest for his poetry inspiration and literary activity. He moved there in 1895 with his sister Maria and dog Gulì, renting the country villa that belonged to the Cardosi-Carrara family, which he later bought in 1902.
This is where the poet spent the most tranquil years of his life, until his death on April 6, 1912; it is where his most successful collections of poetry were written: Primi Poemetti (1897), Canti di Castelvecchio (1903) and Poemi Conviviali (1904). After the poet’s death, his sister Maria took care of the home for 40 years, faithfully preserving the structure, furnishings and arrangement of the spaces.
Only after her death on December 5, 1953 did the house, left to the Municipality of Barga in her will, undergo restorations and modernizations, like the installation of the electrical lighting system.
The building, declared a national monument and which is today a house museum open to the public, is three stories tall and surrounded by a vegetable garden, a garden and a chapel restored by Pascoli, where Maria is laid to rest beside her brother.