The Valdimontone Contrada Museum (Museo della Contrada del Valdimontone) is housed in a building designed in 1974 by Giovanni Michelucci and built after his death in 1997 by Bruno Sacchi. The museum is next to the oratory of the Santissima Trinità which dates back to the start of the sixteenth century and which is home to some very interesting examples of Mannerist and Baroque decorations. The museum includes the church of San Leonardo, a twelfth century building which has been renovated several times over the centuries. The last major renovation was when the façade was redone in a Neo-Classical style in 1822.
The museum is split into two sections. The first is the oratory of San Leonardo, an ancient building which has undergone many alterations over the centuries, including renovation work by Giovanni Michelucci. Here, there is an exhibition of the costumes and other items belonging to the contrada. A second part of the museum is housed in a series of rooms designed by Michelucci and opened in 1997 which contain a display of the Palio banners won by the contrada in various Palio horse races over the years.
Via di Valdimontone 6
Telephone 0577 222590