Skip to content

Museum of the Contrada della Tartuca


An exhibition of winning Palio banners painted by artists including Botero and Mitoraj

The Museum of the Contrada della Tartuca (Contrada of the Tortoise) is attached to the contrada’s Oratory in via Tommaso Pendola, dedicated to St Anthony of Padua, a beautiful example of a baroque building in Siena, built between 1682 and 1685 by Niccolò and Iacomo Franchini.

The itinerary is divided into three sections. The Museum of Sacred Furniture conserves ancient sacred objects belonging to the church, such as vestments and reliquaries, while the Museum of Costume preserves the montature, that is, the costumes used in historic processions from the second half of the 19th century till the present day.

Lastly, the section dedicated to the Palio Museum displays the Palio banners won by the contrada during the Palios, among which are those painted by great artists, such as Fernando Botero and Igor Mitoraj.

More attractions in Siena