Palazzo Comunale in Pienza was probably designed by Bernardo Rossellino. It was renovated in 1900. Its distinctive features are its triple arched portico supported by Ionic stone columns and the travertine façade above the portico which has four double lancet windows and a terracotta clock tower with long windows and double ramparts. The inside part of the portico is covered with the stone carved coats of arms of the town’s various mayors over the centuries, as well as those belonging to Pope Pio II Piccolomini who came from the municipality of Pienza.
To the left of the building is an interesting fifteenth century house which faces onto Via Marconi.
Inside the Palazzo Comunale itself, in the Sala del Consiglio (the council chambers), is a fifteenth century Sienese school fresco depicting the Madonna with Child and the Patron Saints of Pienza: San Vito, San Modesto and San Matteo.