The collection began with the collection of objects from the cathedral in the early 1900s. Curated by Maurizio Cavallini, it was enriched over the years with artworks and objects from other churches in the diocese. The museum is located in the ancient rectory of the cathedral, which today is Palazzo Vescovile, adjacent to the Romanic cloister of the most important church of the diocese.
The museum was damaged in 1944 during WWII and was later reorganized and re-opened to the public in 1956. It was then closed in the 1980s for restoration and re-opened definitively on December 19, 1992. The museum’s aim is to trace the historical evolution of the cathedral over the centuries through the exhibition of architectural and sacred objects and artifacts. Such liturgical artifacts testify to the Christian origins and strong devotion of the Volterra diocese.
Opening hours: March 16 to November 1: every day from 9am-1pm and 3pm-6pm. November 2 to March 15: every day from 9am-1pm.
Price: 8 euro (cumulative ticket with the Pinacoteca and Guarnacci Museum); 5 euro reduced for students, adults over 60 years, the disabled and groups of 20 or more; 3 euro for schools; 18 euro for families (parents and children) of max. 4 people.
Disabled access: No