Museo Diocesano di Arte Sacra di Volterra
Piazza XX Settembre, 7, 56048 Volterra PI, Italy
The Diocesan Museum of Sacred Art is located inside the Church of Sant’Agostino in Volterra and conserves works of art coming from the Cathedral Basilica, churches in the city and other religious institutions in the diocese.
Amongst the most important works on display, we find the bust of St. Victor (12th century), a reliquary donated by Pope Callixtus II in 1120 to the Bishop of Volterra, a painted wooden crucifix from the 13th century and an alabaster holy water font dating to the 1500s.
We can’t forget the glazed terracotta bust of St. Linus, the second pope and patron saint of Volterra, made by Giovanni della Robbia in 1521, and the "Madonna delle Grazie" by Neri di Bicci (1451), coming from the Church of San Giusto.