Church of San Francesco in Pistoia
Piazza San Francesco d'Assisi, 51100 Pistoia PT
Poverty, humility, brotherhood: Franciscan ideals translate into a modest and rigorous spirit of life, reflected in the style of the Church of San Francesco in the heart of Pistoia. Austere and with only essential elements, it stands solemnly in the square of the same name, now also known as Piazza Mazzini, the setting of important historical events for the city.
The construction of the church began in 1289 on an existing small convent dedicated to the Holy Cross where the Franciscan friars had settled in the first half of the same century. Legend has it that Francis of Assisi arrived in Pistoia in 1220 and was welcomed in the rectory of San Vitale. Today, it is the seat of the parish of the same name of the fathers of the Sacred Heart of Jesus of Bétharram.
The Church of San Francesco has a gabled facade covered with green and white marble bands, interrupted by the central portal and the circular rose window. The plan is a Latin cross with a single nave and contains simple elements that are reminiscent of the Gothic style.