Among the most important works preserved in the Cathedral of Arezzo, we find the fresco of the St. Mary Magdalen by Piero della Francesca, painted around 1460 in the left nave. The high altar is a monumental complex, documented as early as 1362. The wooden choir was designed by Giorgio Vasari in 1554. The illustrious aretino is also credited with the design of the organ’s pedestal along the left nave which currently frames the Madonna and Child, a fine wooden sculpture of the mid-13th century.
Important alterations to the cathedral’s original layout were carried out circa 1810, with the intent of creating an ‘internal passageway’ capable of expressing the continuity of the church’s history, the culminating moment of which is in the chapel of the Madonna del Conforto. Originally taken from the city’s other churches, the great altarpieces by Andrea della Robbia are preserved in the chapel.