Schiacciata alla Fiorentina is a tradidional spongy cake from Florence, popular around Carnival time. Find out here our recipe.
- 350g all purpose flour
- 100g sugar
- 2 eggs
- 80 g of olive oil*
- 80 ml of milk
- 1 orange - its juice
- 16 g of vanilla flavored baking powder **
- powder sugar to finish
- Mix all ingredients together except for the baking powder in a large bowl.
- Finally add the baking powder and mix in, leave to rest for half an hour at room temperature.
- Pour into rectangular silicon baking pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 200 degrees celcius. Cool on rack.
- Transfer to plate.
* Originally this florentine cake was made using lard instead of olive oil.
** Tip when adding baking powder always use a small sieve to make sure it is perfectly smooth.