Tuscan cantucci are famous all over the world and probably you have already tasted the traditional version with almonds and a small glass of Vin Santo. Didn't you? So, here is a new cantucci recipe with candied ginger and chocolate chips. I'm sure this recipe will give you the oomph you need for your new year resolutions!. Thank you Zenzero Biocatering.
- 500 g flour (farina)
- 400 g sugar (zucchero)
- 100 g butter (burro)
- 6 eggs (uova)
- 6 egg yolks and 3 egg whites
- lemon zest
- a tablespoon of baking powder (lievito)
- 125 grams of ginger (zenzero)
brown sugar (zucchero di canna)
- 125 g chocolate chips (cioccolato)
- a pinch of salt (sale)
Making the candied ginger:
- Cut the ginger into small cubes and boil it in a pot full of water for 40 minutes. Drain it when it gets soft and put it in another pot with a small quantity of water (water must cover just the ginger).
- Add 200 g of brown sugar and cook for 30/35 minutes until the ginger gets brown.
- Pick the candied ginger with a slotted spoon , and let it cool.
Making the mixture:
- In a bowl...beat the eggs with the sugar and a pinch of salt , trying to get a frothy mixture.
- Add the butter , the flour, the lemon zest and a tablespoon of yeast.
- Add to your mix the ginger and the chocolate chips .
- Divide the dough into three parts and form loaves of about 3 cm thick , brush them with the egg white and bake for 20 minutes at 200 degrees.
- Take the loaves out of the oven and cut them into 1 cm slices. Cook the biscuits for ten more minutes. Enjoy!
Zenzero is a young catering company, based in Florence, that uses only organic products and high quality local ingredients, bought directly from small farmers. Recipe and photos by Ginevra Ercoli