Cecina (torta di ceci or farinata) is a pizza shaped snack made with chickpea flour and water. It's a traditional food from Pisa and Livorno that you can also find in many other cities of the Tyrrhenyan coast: in La Spezia it’s called ‘farinata’, in Savona ‘fainà’ and in Nice ‘soccà’. Here is Serena Angelini (Pici e Castagne) recipe:
- Chickpea flour 200 g,
- Cold water 500 g,
- Extra virgin olive oil,
- Ground pepper.
- Dissolve the flour in the cold water stirring continuously in order to avoid lumps,
- Leave the mixture to stand for a couple of hours,
- Remove the foam on the surface,
- Preheat the oven to 220° C,
- Add a pinch of salt and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil,
- Oil a baking pan and add the batter (thickness= 1 cm),
- Bake for about 40 minutes,
- Add the pepper, cut into squares, serve and...
Cover image credit: Serena Angelini