In 1914, the first motor race
was held on this now famous road circuit. It became a regular stop on the racing circuit in 1914 but was soon interrupted by the outbreak of World War I.
This challenging and selective competition experienced a golden period after the end of the war when the era's best drivers competed on these roads. The dusty track went from Scarperia uphill to Firenzuola
, and then through the Futa Pass downhill to San Piero and Scarperia. The legendary names linked to this historical race still echo today: Campari, Brilli Peri, Enzo Ferrari (who won in 1921 on an Alfa Romeo class 4.500), Ascari, Borzacchini and perhaps most importantly, Emilio Materassi, the local idol.
The prestige of the "Mille Miglia"
dimmed the fame of the old Mugello circuit and after 1929 it was closed, apart from a brief and rather weak re-opening on a reduced, 19km track in 1955. In the 1960's the Mille Miglia disappeared, and fans of the old-style racing, like Pasquale Borracci and Amos Pampaloni, proposed to reopen the original 66km track. The new events were quite successful even though they suffered from the absence of the most prestigious Italian mark, the Cavallino, which only began to officially take part in the competion in 1967. It was destiny that the histories of the Mugello racetrack and Ferrari would meet again, but it was necessary to wait over twenty years.
The seven events held in the 1960s
drew hundreds of thousands of spectators to the green valley of the Mugello. They were attracted by the performance of the sport and touring cars in a battle for supremacy and their hearts beat for the drivers of these cars so near to the production model, like the little modified Abarth. The track allowed spectacular driving performances, which drivers such as Enrico Pinto, Nanni Galli, Ignazio Giunti, Mauro Nesti and Arturo Merzario exploited to create their lasting and well deserved reputations.
The enthusiasm of the Tuscan spectators
was devoted to the most spectacular drivers. The 'dragon' Sandro Munari, was particularly favored in his exhibitions on the difficult and challenging rounds of the Apennines with the Fulvia Barchetta, designed by Fiorio and Maglioli.
Of these events, the most exiting was in 1968, when the Alfa Romeo, driven by Luciano Bianchi, Galli and Nino Vaccarella, won after an incredible recovery over the Porsche, driven by Rico Steinemann and the Swiss Jo Siffert.
As in the story of the ugly duckling, where the protagonist becomes a beautiful swan
, the Mugello road circuit of 1920's becomes a modern racetrack. Nowadays "the Mugello" represents a step forward in the conception of circuits where safety, technology and facilities combine to satisfy all of the requirements of car and motorbike races.
Designed and realized according to the devices developed by the science of road racing, the International Mugello Circuit guarantees maximum safety for drivers and spectators alike, thanks to its wide run-off areas in the most demanding corners of the track and its service road for rescue which runs the full length of the 5,245m track. Thanks to its geographic location, with a total variance in altitude of 41.19m., the Mugello circuit is an ideal place for the most rigorous test.
Designed in the 1970s, and later extensively remodeled by Ferrari, the Mugello Circuit is one of the most scenic, modern and safe racing facilities in the world. Fully operational year round, it is the regular test centre of Ferrari F1, the most important manufacturer of MotoGP and World Superbike, and other prestigious Italian and International car manufacturers.
To date the Mugello racetrack has hosted the Formula 5000 Championship
(which baptized the renovated circuit on June 23rd, 1974), the Formula 3000, the Formula 2, the Fia-Gt and is the only circuit in Italy to host the ITC.
Full information about the circuit and its facilities is available at the official website: http://www.mugellocircuit.it