The city of Altopascio has always been considered the “bread town” because it is a naturally welcoming place. Pilgrims used to pass through here, and still do today, travelling along the Via Francigena.
For this reason, around the year 1000, a confraternity of doctors called the Cavalieri of Tau built a hospice for tired travellers who were exhausted from long journeys. The assistance was regulated in 1232, where bread was made a right, given to all those who arrived in Altopascio. From this, the tradition of bread has always remained alive.