In between Castagneto and the coastline sits Donoratico, owing its name to the medieval castle whose ruins and imposing tower can still be visited. It’s located a short walk away from the town and was founded on Via Aurelia, the historic Roman road, still welcoming visitors with its lively - though tranquil in the summer - atmosphere. A few minutes from the town is the beautiful and inviting golden beach that stretches from Marina di Bibbona to San Vincenzo.
The village was founded in the first half of the 19th century, when Guido Alberto Della Gherardesca created a series of communities, consisting primarily of small farms.
Donoratico began to expand in 1863, when the Livorno-Follonica rail line was first inaugurated, as was the Bombolo station, instead of being located in its namesake town. It was constructed on the orders of the Della Gherardescha Counts, adjacent to their Mandriacce property around which the centre of Donoratico rapidly grew.
Full of artisanal activity, Donoratico is also known for the construction of competitive and recreational boats.
A land of poetry
The streets of a medieval village between poems and perfumes
Read the story