The Adoration of the Magi by Leonardo da Vinci is an oil painting commissioned by the monks of San Donato a Scopeto in 1481 and which was never finished by the artist. It is housed in the Uffizi Gallery in Florence.
In the foreground, the Adoration of the Magi displays the Virgin Mary holding the Baby Jesus, surrounded by the Magi, kneeling in adoration, and a crowd of people. In the background the two trees—the bay as a symbol of triumph and palms as a symbol of martyrdom—divide two scenes: the first is a fight, which represents the folly of humans who have failed to receive the Christian message, the second depicts the Fall of the Temple of Jerusalem. The boy who appears on the right might be a self-portrait of Leonardo.
The painting was left unfinished after Leonardo departed for Milan, remaining with his friend Amerigo Benci and later arriving in the Medici family collection. A recent restoration revived the painting’s original colours.