Popiglio towers

The Towers of Popiglio

Abetone peaks crowned by two imposing towers

The area surrounding the high valley of the Lima river belonged to the Guidi counts of Modigliana, who owned the Popiglio and Piteglio castles. Later, when the area was governed by nearby Pistoia, the two castles had one chief and the town became part of the Republic of Florence.
There are no traces of the fortifications or city walls; however, two imposing towers remain which were part of the valley's defense system.
The Popiglio Towers are both square-shaped though they are different heights. Today, the first tower is only half its original height. Part of its elliptic walls are still visible today. It is likely that other buildings were located inside. The second tower was likely a connection point between the town and the fortress.
The most important ski resort in the Apennines
Developed along the Modenese road and inaugurated in 1778, the area derives its name from a large pine that was cut down to open the road, near the pass of the same name. In the highest point where the road cuts away, the two stone Pyramids rise, built perhaps with a project by Leonardo Ximenes, that single out the pass and the old boundary between the Grand Duchy of Tuscany and the Duchy of ...