Palazzo Feroni
location_cityArchitecture

The historic buildings in San Giovanni Valdarno

Elegant buildings which add to the charm of the historic centre of the town

San Giovanni Valdarno
Palazzo Corboli
This sober building was recently renovated and is now used to host cultural events. During the eighteenth century, the palazzo belonged to the Corboli family. Sinibaldo Corboli was a wealthy Florentine banker who obtained permission to carry out extensive renovation work on the house in 1723. The work was finished in 1726 and the end result was a building five times as large as the original construction. The adjoining Church delle Anime was also restored during the renovation work and made part of the palazzo to basically become the family’s private chapel.

Palazzo Feroni
Palazzo Feroni is an elegant building at number 20 Corso Italia, next to the smaller Palazzo Panciatichi. It dates back to the end of the seventeenth century when several smaller buildings were knocked together to make the palazzo as it appears today. Palazzo Feroni has two immense doorways with balconies overlooking each one, both with cast iron handrails. The Feroni Marquises’ coat of arms is carved on the façade of this impressive building, as well as various other decorations.

Palazzaccio
Palazzaccio looks out over piazza Masaccio, to the left of the church of San Lorenzo which separates the building from via Alberti. This palazzo is also known as Palazzo Salviati. The name ‘Palazzaccio’ (loosely translating to ‘bad or evil palazzo’) dates back to a rather bloody event which took place here in the first half of the seventeenth century and which involved several members of the Salviati family.
In reality, the name could simply refer to the old building’s decayed and tired look.
The building was originally constructed in the fourteenth century and then subsequently altered over the years. It has recently been completely restored to highlight its Late Renaissance style.

Palazzo Panciatichi

Several adjacent buildings were knocked through to create the elegant late eighteenth century Palazzo Panciatichi, situated at 14 corso Italia. It was built during a period of regional reforms and at a time when a lot of people were moving into the valley. This re-population saw the rise of a new local landowning aristocracy. Palazzo Panciatichi had the dual role of being a residential home at the front and also as a kind of farm house at the back, a role that continued until the 1960s. Architecturally, the building has a well-balanced look with regular stone-framed doorways and windows. The overall style of the building is Tuscan. The main doorway is overshadowed by a balcony with a wrought iron hand rail and the Panciatichi coat of arms.

The home of Giovanni di San Giovanni
Giovanni di San Giovanni was born on 20th March 1592 at 105 corso Italia. The building today still has a wonderful front door. This talented painter spent a period of his life in Florence, where it’s possible to admire his works of art today, such as the frescoes in the church of Ognisanti and several paintings hanging in Palazzo Pitti. He died in Florence on 9th December 1636.

 
San Giovanni Valdarno
San Giovanni Valdarno is located in the province of Arezzo and counts 17,000 inhabitants
The council, founded in the XIII century by Florence, is rich in artistic testimonies. You can visit the Basilica and its museum, the Palazzo d'Arnolfo and Casa Masaccio. Furthermore, the historical, medieval style town centre is very striking. ...
Morekeyboard_backspace