Terre di Siena DOP
Places of worship

The Church of Sant'Ansano in Dofana

Castelnuovo Berardenga

References to the Church of Sant'Ansano in Dofana are found in documents dated 1139, concerning a list of places which were quarrelled over by the bishops of Siena and Arezzo who had a century-old contest for some churches possession. The building was restored in 1190 and re-built (or re-restored) in 1380. Moreover in 1529 it was re-built again. The "new" three aisled church contains in the left aisle an altar with a Sant'Ansano statue in a niche and, beneath, a shrine with the Saint's relics.

Castelnuovo Berardenga
The vast territory is close to the evocative Crete Senesi
Castelnuovo Berardenga is at an altitude of 351m and has a population of approximately 7000 inhabitants. The town takes its name from Count Berardo, a descendant of the Count of Siena Guinigi who governed over the city during the second half of the IX century. His family moved to the country when they lost control of Siena. ...
Morekeyboard_backspace