Piazza Indipendenza, 15, 53100 Siena SI, Italia
In 1531 a group of artisans founded the Congrega dei Rozzi to dignify popular art forms, later transformed into an academy in 1690, becoming one of Siena's most important cultural institutions.
Initially, the congregation carried out its activities in the Saloncino inside the Opera Metropolitana, but following a ban on its use by Francesco de' Medici, the Rozzis decided to build their own theater, entrusting the project to architect Alessandro Doveri in 1807. Unsatisfied with the initial proposal, they decided to purchase some premises bordering the Accademia, located in Piazza S.Pellegrino, today's Piazza Indipendenza, to build the new theater.
The Teatro dei Rozzi was officially opened in the spring of 1815 with a grand ballroom party, which was followed a few days later by the performance of the first opera, which was L'Agnese di Fitzenry by Ferdinando Paer. Over the years, the theater became a point of reference for Italian prose, hosting the greatest national tour companies.
Through the years it has undergone various interventions and after a long period of closure, due to damage suffered during World War II, it was officially reopened to the public on May 29, 1998 with a capacity of 499 seats, distributed among stalls, three tiers of boxes and an open balcony. Every year the Teatro dei Rozzi hosts a rich program of theatrical, musical and conference activities.